Nandita Biswas Mellamphy
Ph.D., University of Toronto
Telephone: 519.661.2111 ext. 81161
Office: Social Sciences Centre 4095
Department of Women’s Studies and Feminist Research, UWO.
Centre for the Study of Theory and Criticism, UWO.
Fellow of the Center for Transformative Media at the Parsons: The New School, NY, USA.
Fellow of the Center for War and Technology at Bath University, UK.
Recently, she also became the Director of the newly formed Electro-Governance research group at Western (egg.uwo.ca)
Professor Biswas Mellamphy specializes in critical and radical political theory as well as the history of political thought from antiquity to post-modernity. Her topics of study include post-humanism, digital media culture, continental philosophy (especially the work of Friedrich Nietzsche and the post-Nietzscheans), and the political dimensions of contemporary science-fiction and current-day neuroscience; Algorithmic Governance, Electronic Governance, Surveillance, War on Terror, Insecurity, Neuromarketing, Net-centricity.
Current Research Projects
- Professor Biswas Mellamphy is working on a book which will explore issues of post-humanism through the lens of science-fiction. In addition she is completing a series of articles devoted to the theorist François Laruelle’s interpretation of Nietzsche’s political thought, and a project examining the politics of hypercamouflage and avatarism.
- N. Biswas Mellamphy, The New ‘P.R’.: Posthuman Rationality in War, Cognition, and Culture(single-authored monograph).
- Biswas Mellamphy, N. and Dan Mellamphy, Editors. The Digital Dionysus: Nietzsche and the Network-Centric Condition. Punctum Books. New York: forthcoming 2015.
- 2011: The Three Stigmata of Friedrich Nietzsche: Political Physiology in the Age of Nihilism. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
Refereed Journal Articles and Editions
- 2015: Biswas Mellamphy, N. “Larval Terror and the Digital Darkside”. In E-International Relations. November 14. Republished in The Global Policy Journal, Blog Page.
- 2015: Nandita Biswas Mellamphy, Nick Dyer-Witheford, Alison Hearn and Svitlana Matviyenko, Co-Editors. The Fibreculture Journal, Special issue on ‘Apps and Affect’, issue 25.
- 2015: Biswas Mellamphy, N. and Dan Mellamphy, “Synarchic Regulation and Algorithmic Governance”. In The Fibreculture Journal, special issue on ‘Apps and Affect’, co-edited by Nandita Biswas Mellamphy, Nick Dyer-Witheford, Alison Hearn and Svitlana Matviyenko, issue 25. DOI 10.15307/fcj.25.185.2015.
- 2015: Biswas Mellamphy, N. and Dan Mellamphy. "Welcome to the Electrocene" Culture Machine, Special issue on Drone Culture. Dean Lockwood and Rob Coley (Eds.) Volume 16. 1-27.
- 2015: "L'informe Cybernétique: Concepts of Information and the Contemporary Sciences". In Philosophy and Technology, Volume 20, Issue 2.
- 2015: (with Dan Mellamphy) "The Critique of Transcendental Miserablism". Parrhesia: The Journal of Critical Philosophy, number 22, 131-143.
- 2014: “From Terra‐ to Terror‐Ecology: Secrets from the Arrakeen Underground”. In Design Ecologies 3.1: 66-91.
- 2011: ‘Affective Aporetics: Complementary Contradictions in the Interpretation of Friedrich Nietzsche’ in PhaenEx: Journal of Existential and Phenomenological Theory and Culture 6.1 (Spring/Summer), 121-146.
- 2011: ‘Ec(h)ologies of the Désêtre’ (with Dr. Dan Mellamphy) in Collapse: Journal of Philosophical Research and Development Volume Seven (Spring/Summer), 412-435.
- 2009: ‘What's the “Matter” with Materialism?: Walter Benjamin and the New Janitocracy’ (with Dr. Dan Mellamphy) in Janus Head: Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature, Continental Philosophy, Phenomenological Psychology, and the Arts 11.1 (Summer), 162-182.
- 2009: ‘Paulitics’ (with Dr. Dan Mellamphy) in Symposium: The Canadian Journal of Continental Philosophy 12. 2 (Winter special issue on Alain Badiou), 127-146.
- 2005: ‘In “Descent” Proposal: Pathologies of Embodiment in Nietzsche, Kafka, and Foucault’ (with Dr. Dan Mellamphy) in Foucault Studies 1.3 (November 2005), 27-48.
- Biswas Mellamphy, N. "Women Out of Time". In Speculations of the Other Woman: New Realisms in Feminist Philosophy, Katerina Kolozova et al (eds.). Punctum, forthcoming 2016.
- Biswas Mellamphy, N. "The Overhuman." In Critical Posthumanism, Planetary Futures. Debashish Banerji (ed.), Springer India, forthcoming 2016.
- 2015: Biswas Mellamphy, N. "Ghost in the Shell Game: On the Metic Mode of Existence. In The Funambulist Papers: Volume 2 (New York: Punctum Books), 2015, 224-235.
- 2014: Biswas Mellamphy, N. and Dan Mellamphy, "From the Digital to the Tentacular, or From iPods to Cephalopods: Apps, Traps, and Entrées‐without‐Exit". In The Imaginary App, eds. Svitlana Matviyenko and Paul Miller (Boston: MIT Press), 231-249.
- 2014: Biswas Mellamphy, N. “Nietzsche’s Political Materialism: Diagram for a Nietzschean Politics.” In Nietzsche as Political Philosopher, Barry Stocker and Manuel Knoll (eds.). Berlin: De Gruyter, 2014, 77-92.
- 2014: Biswas Mellamphy, N. "Nietzsche and the Engine of Politics." In Nietzsche and Political Thought, Keith Ansell-Pearson (ed.). London: Bloomsbury Press, 2013, 141-160.
- 2013: ‘Nietzsche's Experimental Ontology’ in Nietzsche’s Therapeutic Teaching: For Individuals and Culture, eds. Horst Hutter and Eli Friedland. London: Continuum Press, 205-216.
- 2012: ‘On the Alchemy of War’ (with Dr. Dan Mellamphy) in Leper Creativity: The Cyclonopedia Symposium, eds. Ed Keller, Eugene Thacker and Nicola Masciandaro (New York City: Punctum Books): 192-212.
- 2008: ‘Corporealizing Thought: Translating the Eternal Return Back into Politics’ in Nietzsche, Power and Politics, eds. Vasti Roodt and Herman Ziemens (Berlin: Walter de Gruyter), 740-764.
- 2016: Biswas Mellamphy, N. "Excess and Ecstasy in the Age of Furious Communication". Part of a panel on the Political Theory of Georges Bataille. Meeting of the Western Political Science Association, San Diego.
- 2014: Biswas Mellamphy, N. and Dan Mellamphy, “The Planet of the Apps”, Apps and Affect conference, Organized by the Faculty of Information and Media Studies, UWO, October 18‐12, 2014, hosted by Museum London, Ontario.
- 2013:‘Larval Terror and the Digital Darkside’, The Dark Side of the Digital Conference, Centre for 21st Century Studies, University of Milwaukee, May 2-4.
- 2013: Co-organizer (with Dr. Dan Mellamphy) of The Nietzsche Workshop, Cyber-Nietzsche: Tunnels, Tightropes, Net- & Mesh-works, hosted by The Center for Transformative Media, The New School, April 13.
- 2011: Biswas Mellamphy, N. “Affective Aporetics: Complementary Contradictions in Interpretations of Nietzsche”. Annual meeting of the Nietzsche Society. Organized by Babette Babich and Tracy Strong. Held at the Annual conference of the Society for Phenomenology and Existentialist Philosophy (SPEP), October 19, 2011, Philadelphia, PA.
- 2011: ‘On Plato's Dialogues in Nietzsche’s Early Thought’, Summer Academy of The School of Philosophy, Epineuil-la-fleuriel France. Organized by Professor Bernard Stiegler and Ars Industrialis, August 23-27.
- 2010: ‘Hiero-Zoontotechnics: Individuation and Techno-Religion’ (with Dr. Dan Mellamphy), Zoontotechnics: Animality/Technicity Conference, Centre for Critical and Cultural Theory, Cardiff Wales.
- 2009: ‘Nietzsche's Experimental Ontology: Toward a Political Physiology of Individuation’, Nietzsche and the Becoming of Life Conference, Universidad Diego Portales, Instituto de Humanidades (Institute of the Humanities), Santiago de Chile.
- 2016: Keynote Address, 'The Fog of Peace: War By Any Other Means'. Social Science Students Council Annual Conference, Western University, January 23, 2016.
- 2015: Keynote Address, "Apocalypse Now: The Spreading of Darkness at the Speed of Light". Strategies of Critique XIX, York University, April 24-25, 2015.
- 2015: Keynote Address, "War in the Age of Intelligent Machines". Kings University of Western Ontario Political Science Association, March 5. 2015.
- 2014: (with Dan Mellamphy) Keynote Speaker, "Algorithmic Governance". Department of Humanities, York University, November 7-9, 2014.
- 2014: "Con/deception: The Politics of Paradox and Aporetic Agencies". Department of Visual Arts, Western University, October 17, 2014.
- 2014: "The Digital Dionysus: Nietzsche and the Network-centric Condition". Contemporary Studies Program Student Association, University of King's Collegs, Dalhousie University, March 22, 2014.
- 2014: "The New P.R.: Posthuman Rationality in War, Cognition and Culture". Contemporary Studies Program Student Association, Univeristy of King's College, Dalhousie University, March 21, 2014.
- 2014: Keynote Speaker, “The War on Terror in the Age of Intelligent Machines”. Retired Academic Group (RAG), Western University, February 21, 2014.
- 2011: Roundtable Discussant, “The McLuhan Legacy: Hype or Inspiration?” Global Village: Calamity or Chance? Marshall McLuhan Centennial Europe 2011. Canadian Embassy Berlin and German‐Canada Professional Association, May.
- 2011: Chair of panel, “The Nature of Ecology” Romanticism and Evolution, University of Western Ontario, May.
- 2010: Chair of panel, Transduction, Translation, Transformation, Department of Global Communication at the American University of Paris, co‐sponsored by the Mellon Foundation and Duke University, May 2010.
- 2010: Respondent to Keynote Speaker, Dr. Graham Parkes, Becoming Loyal to the Earth: Ecology and Life‐Affirmation in Nietzsche’s Vision ‐‐ Nietzsche’s Teaching as a Therapy for Political Culture, Department of Political Science and Department of Philosophy, Concordia University, March 2010.
- 2009: Roundtable Participant, “Trans‐Individuation, Technology and Politics: Round‐table with Bernard Stiegler”, New French Thought, Department of Philosophy, Villanova University, April 3‐4.
Organizer of Conferences, Panels and Reading Groups
- 2015: Co-organizer with Patricia Clough, Ed Keller, and Dan Mellamphy, Hacking Feminism, May 9,10, 2015. The Centre of Transformative Media, The New School, NYC.
- 2013: Co‐organizer with Nick Dyer Witheford, Svitlana Matvienko, & Alison Hearn, Apps and Affect, October 18‐20, 2013, co‐sponsored by The Faculty of Information and Media Studies (UWO), Theory and Criticism (UWO) and Museum London.
- 2013: Co‐organizer with Dan Mellamphy. Cyber‐Nietzsche: Tunnels, Tightropes, Net‐ and Mesh‐works. Hosted by the Center for Transformative Media. Parsons School of Design, The New School. New York April 13.
- 2011: Co‐organizer, Enter the Fray: Theory and Criticism in the Network‐centric World, Graduate conference, Political Science and Centre for the Study of Theory and Criticism, April.
- 2009: Founder and Organizer, The Nietzsche Workshop @ Western, Annual international interdisciplinary conference (2009‐ present).
Awards and Distinctions
- 2008-2009: University Student Council Teaching Honour Roll Certificate, The University of Western Ontario.
- 2006: Nomination, Undergraduate Award for Teaching Excellence, University Students Council, The University of Western Ontario, 2006.